Friday 5 April 2013

Composite and Ceramic replacements

I got the information from the dentist office about the materials he will be using.

Ceramics
These will be IPS e.Max made by Ivoclar vivadent. Some ceramics do contain Alumina which is an aluminium oxide. Because it gets baked at high temperature and made in a lab it is said to be stable and will not leach out. Mine are made from zirconium oxide and other bits and bobs! (I wished I had learnt more in chemistry at school)
http://www.roedentallab.com/downloads/emaxpressdata.pdf

Composites
Will be Grandio made in Germany by company called Voco GmbH. They still have BPAs (BIS-GMA) @ 1 - 3% which is a great deal lower than the normal composite fillings (they all vary so much). They are made from nano-technology, which means machines working with very small pieces, ie once the material is made there is no danger from this type of technology. It is the processing thats dangerous if the nanos get out of control. (this info was from one of my geeky techy friends who has a nano-technology department where he works). The literature I got seemed to suggest nano-technology scares people! So the real question is over the contents and whether they leach.

I think I probably get more BPAs from:
plastic bottles leaching BPAs into contents (shampoo/conditioner bottles not just water bottles which I hardly drink out of)
Can linings leaching into food
Skin products - moisturiser, shampoo, conditioner, shower/bath products
Using plastic containers to freeze food

So I will make more of an effort to cut my exposure this way. The alternatives to composites are glass iomers which often contain flouride. After my experiment with flouride free toothpaste I feel I am much more susceptable to negative effects of Flouride. Non BPA ones contain methyl-esters which can be just as bad. So I decided to have this composite. It is hard to choose which poison from a list of poisons. I will be working very hard to never get another cavity.

Interesting reading:
http://copublications.greenfacts.org/en/dental-amalgam/l-3/5-health-effects-alternative-materials.htm

 

This time I know exactly what is going in my mouth and what potential risks there might be. This is called informed consent. Something none of us were ever given when mercury was put in our mouths!

No comments:

Post a Comment